Frequently Asked Questions
Cottages and apartments are sold, but on occasion a shareholder may sublease their cottage or apartment, usually for one to three months.
Please call or e-mail for details. 207-338-2332 or e-mail – email@example.com.
Yes, we welcome your domestic pets! You may bring up to two (2) pets in Apartments and Cottages limited to dogs, cats, caged birds, hamsters, and gerbils. Dogs moving into the Ocean House should be under 35 lbs. There is a $250 one-time fee for pets.
At Penobscot Shores, we are fortunate to offer four-star dining in our Ocean House dining room boasting spectacular views. As a Resident of Penobscot Shores, you will soon discover that our chefs offer the very best in fine dining, a varied and imaginative menu, and superior service. Our talented chefs and our attentive wait staff make dinner an event!
We are adding raised beds as the demand warrants for you to continue to enjoy gardening. Fresh flowers and vegetables are so wonderful to enjoy in the summer months.
Cottage residents may also plant flowers and shrubs in designated areas around their cottages as designated by the master landscaping plan.
Penobscot Shores is an oceanfront, independent living, retirement community. Health referral services are available via our partnership with Waldo County General Hospital’s Population Health team. They can provide blood pressure checks, assist in arranging healthcare appointments, and answer your questions related to health and welfare.
Residents may choose 24-hour monitoring through Medical Care Alert, engage private caregivers if necessary, and we have easy access to rehabilitation locations should the need arise. It is our goal to assist residents in remaining independent whenever possible.
Residents of our retirement community and their families rest easy knowing that Penobscot Shores is affiliated with Waldo County General Hospital (WCGH), a trusted name in quality healthcare since 1901.
WCGH is a network of healthcare providers offering a broad spectrum of services including primary care, home healthcare, acute hospital inpatient and outpatient care, and public health nursing. WCGH serves the healthcare needs of patients and their families throughout Waldo County.
Waldo County General Hospital is located on Northport Avenue, a very short distance from Penobscot Shores in Belfast. You can be sure the best care is merely minutes away.
As a consumer cooperative, members of the community will purchase stock in Penobscot Shores Association which is priced to reflect the individual value of their homes. The stock comes with a proprietary lease, which will give a decision-making role in the community, plus important home-ownership benefits. These benefits allow members to sell their present home and come into Penobscot Shores with the sale qualifying as a capital gain reinvestment.
- Property Taxes
- Homeowner’s Insurance (owners pay for insurance on their personal property)
- Water and Sewer
- Lawn mowing and landscaping of common areas
- Cleaning of cottage gutters as needed
- Cleaning of dryer vents
- Installation and removal of privately owned air conditioners
- Outside painting and repair
- Window washing on a scheduled basis
- Boiler maintenance of all cottage residences
- Snow removal
- Trash and recycling pick-up
- Repair of all plumbing and electrical needs
- Repair or replacement of all provided appliances
- 24-Hour Emergency Response System Available
- Patrol security after business hours
- Healthcare resources available
- Hair Salon
- Fitness Program three mornings each week
- Scheduled entertainment by the Activities Committee: Speakers, performances, movies, video lecture series, social hours
- Coffee and tea service available all-day
- Scheduled van transportation to area appointments and shopping
- Library available 24 hours a day with a 42” flat-screen TV and cable service
- Heat is included in the monthly fee for Apartment Residents only and individually controlled
Take full advantage of the available services at Penobscot Shores! Included are fine dining, scheduled health referral services, 24-hour emergency call monitoring, scheduled van transportation to appointments and shopping; fitness program; snow removal, trash pickup, and zero sorts recycle removal; landscaping, and building maintenance and repair. The friendly, thoughtful Penobscot Shores staff will assist you in arranging additional services.
In the small city of Belfast, Maine, directly on Penobscot Bay, you will find our community situated in a 20-acre meadow. With ample open space allowing direct ocean and meadow views, our cottages and apartments have exposure to natural vistas and light.
Directions: Route 1, just south of the by-pass into Downtown Belfast, directly across from the Irving gas station.